TikTok has become one of the most popular social networks, especially among young people. It has changed the course of social media through its highly engaging and captivating content formats. Duet is one such feature on TikTok that has received positive user feedback from millions of users. Many creators have successfully leveraged this feature to become more visible across TikTok and expand their following.
This post will teach you all you need to know about duets and practical tips for going viral through collaborations. Embark on a journey to make the best of this amazing feature and avail yourself of its benefits.
What is A Duet?
A duet is a compilation of two videos from different users placed vertically next to each other on a split screen. These videos are played simultaneously with the original video on the right side and your video on the left side of the screen. Both accounts must be public and should have enabled duets in their privacy settings.
This feature lets you make a video alongside your favorite content creators using various layouts and leverage their vast impact to gain TikTok auto likes and views. Duets can help you get featured on the For You Page, making you go viral since such videos are also favored by the algorithm.
Types of Duets
There are several types of duets commonly done on TikTok, which are:
- Reaction videos
- Commenting on a video
- Responding to a video
- Attempting viral challenges and trends
- Duet with an old video from your profile
- Duet with a fan
- Imitation video
- Guessing the consequences of a video
- Before and After
- Duet with a trending audio clip or song
- Expectation vs reality
- Pretending to be with the other user
- Explain another video
Duet Privacy Settings
You must be aware by now that the two videos must be public and have the duet feature enabled to do a duet on TikTok. Go to your Privacy Settings and then Duet to allow duets with other users. In this tab, you can choose who to allow for a duet. The options include:
- Followers whom you follow back
- Only Me
You can also update the privacy settings for a video before posting it and for an existing video in the More Options. It is helpful, especially when you only want to do a duet on selective videos without enabling the option for all videos.
Tips to Find A Duet Partner
- Scroll through your Discover page and look for videos that spark your interest in some way (you want to respond to it, comment on it, react to it, etc).
- Watch duet videos that inspire you. Follow those creators and observe their duet partners and videos.
- Message the creators you admire and politely request a duet. Reaching out with an idea is a plus.
- Look for creators with whom you feel your content and style are compatible. However, there is no harm in reaching out to those with a different style, as it will enhance your exposure and allow you to think out of the box.
- Leave comments of appreciation on videos you’d like to do a duet with.
- Join hashtags with duet opportunities and tag potential partners in your captions.
- Ask your friends to do a duet with you. Invite more users to join the initiative and encourage their participation.
How to Do A Duet
You can do a duet in a few simple steps that are as follows:
- Find a duet partner or video. Keep in mind the tips mentioned above when you are looking for one.
- Check if they allow for duets by tapping on the Share button. If the Duet option is active, it means they have allowed it. If the option is in grey, the video is unavailable for a duet.
- Tap the Duet option and choose a layout from the following options:
- Picture in picture
- Side by side
- Top and bottom
- The next step is to record your video for the duet. Click on the red button to start recording.
- Once you are done recording, you will see a list of tools on the right side of the screen. You can adjust the video speed and add filters, effects, text, stickers, voice-over, auto-captions, and the volume of original and duet videos.
- Add the name of your duet partner, write a caption, and include hashtags. You can also add location and tag people in your duet.
- Now that your content is ready, publishing it on TikTok is time.
Boosting Your Duet’s Visibility
Here are some additional tips to boost your duet’s visibility and help it go viral.
- Capitalize on viral trends and challenges.
- Use popular and relevant hashtags and trending sounds in your videos.
- Go live with your duet partner. Get more TikTok livestream views to promote your duet to a wider audience.
- Cross-promote your duets on other social networks to expand your viewership.
- Engage with the viewers and respond to their comments and messages.
- Extend your campaigns to a wider audience through TikTok Promote.
- Collaborate with people who have a greater following to boost your visibility.
In A Nutshell
Duet is an amazing feature on TikTok that has taken collaborations to the next level. It helps drive engagement and boost visibility on your videos. There are several layouts and types of duets you can follow. For example, you could react or respond to a video, parody it, do an expectation vs. reality, or more. Get your creative juices flowing in your duets and grow your engagement to shine in the limelight!
SEO Content Writer | Blogger
Fatima has been a skilled SEO content writer for more than three years. She’s proficient in digital marketing, social media marketing, and artificial intelligence. Her writing style combines flair with functionality, creating content tailored to client needs and industry nuances. Besides writing, she joyfully explores the world, seeking to uncover its hidden gems.